26 juillet 2006

What a week!!!

We're wednesday, I've blogged for the last time barely 4 days ago and I've lost track of time already.
In the 3 days of work I've done this week, I've spent over 30 hours in the office or in the lab. Can't actually remember what I did on monday. Tuesday, I was at the lab at 8, left at 3pm, cycled to the office and worked till 6:30 to prepare this morning's meeting. Today meeting at 9 which was prepared enough, so I got to work at 8 again, left at 6:30 again. Tomorrow, I'll be at the lab at 8 yet again and will leave early for driving lessons at 5pm, a colleague is supposed to take over at that time for the evening session until 10pm. Should have been me for the full day but I had already reserved the driving lessons. And no, I don't expect to eat, just like tuesday and just like the colleague today (yup he was at the lab from 8 to 3). Friday should be cooler: conducting a meeting at 9, but at work at 8 to print the agenda and writing the minutes to be sent before I leave in the evening.
Estimated hours: 48-49. Next week should be calmer. And I'm almost so relieved I'm not adding the 5 hours from tomorrow night.

With temps in the high 90's, cycling under the sun is an experience. Yesterday, while coming back, I felt as a snowman on a trip in Nevada, losing so much water I didn't know if there'd be enough of me at the end to call myself a human/snowman. (hmm, can anyone tell me what material is called "hu" and where I can find raw "hu"? I want to do a human by myself)
I'm taking all of this, the scorching heat, the insane hours, the pressure, as a challenge and an experience. It's actually thrilling to see if I can see the end of it or if I'll collapse before the end (I'll stop before I do that and request to have some work offloaded on someone else). So even though I may write as if I want it to be different, it's only to hide the fact that I'm enjoying myself.

I've also started enjoying leaving my flat more, I went to the movies again on sunday (I highly recommend Tsotsi by the way) and then went to the Prairie des Filtres to laze in the grass on the banks of the Garonne. And I went to a concert of gregorian chants by the Discantus choir, a group of 12 women. The concert was given in the Basilique de Saint Sernin, a magnificent building built at the same time and following the same blueprints as the basilica of Santiago de Compostela. More than just an exhibition of talents on a scene, the 12 women moved around the basilica, and the public to provide a different atmosphere, sometimes all together, sometimes in smaller groups. The lighting added to the atmosphere of serenity and concentration, in stark contrast with the lightning we could see through the windows and the thunder heard through the chants. Even the accoustic of the building was impressive, we could hear a single singer from the other side, and sounds played tricks reverberating on columns until I couldn't locate the singer anymore.
Truly a spiritual experience, and a fantastic one.
I will have to visit the basilica by day, and I think a friend would be interested too. And I am determined to see more concerts of ancient music, be it medieval or from the Renaissance or baroque. There are 2 or 3 concerts next week from the same festival where Mozart will be played by a chamber music orchestra. I plan to go. And Jordi Savall will play in January in Toulouse a few selected pieces from the most famous composers for viola da gamba. If you've seen Tous les matins du monde, Monsieur de Sainte Colombes and Marin Marais are two of the artists who Jordi Savall will play.

After this "back to my (classical) roots" moment, let me have a good night of sleep and attack tomorrow as yet another day of challenges and excitement.

1 commentaire:

tommpouce a dit…

hey :-) Yeah, I'm pretty energised :p We had all gone over the edge on friday at the office. Not as much work done as I expected, but plenty of fun and a squash competition idea was launched.
The program for the week end will be lighter :p buy a new diabolo, couple of strings for it, a new phone for home and maybe go see a movie...
How's it going on your side?