24 février 2006

snapshot

I'm looping two CDs on my sound system at the moment.
The first one's the latest Enya album, Amarantine. I've known her for many years now, since The Celts and Shepherd Moons. Later on I discovered Memory of Trees and Watermark, although I haven't listened to these as much as to the two first.
A couple of months ago, I saw a poster for Amarantine. It was a bit of a shock to seen the new design, way more colourful, way more dramatic, and way more commercial. I didn't hurry to pick it up, afraid her music had also turned commercial. Then my iPod and my computer broke and my only way to listen to music was to listen to actual CDs on my PS2 coupled to my sound system. So I finally decided to buy it, and yes some tracks are slightly more mainstream than the albums I already knew. However I also believe that it's a welcome evolution to her style. It remains very limited and doesn't feel like a betrayal from my previous experiences.
I especially like track 8 -Someone said goodbye- at the moment, but it's so easy to listen to this album that I haven't picked up the individual other tracks yet. Gotta keep listening.

The other CD is one I "asked for" for Christmas. Remember I asked for a good saxophone CD? Well turns out my parents gave me Bossa Antigua from Paul Desmond. That's not what I expected at all, I was looking at something very jazzy. And well Bossa Nova isn't that bursting, is it? So well I was a bit disappointed again and left the CD on the pile while returning to goth and heavy metal. And then my iPod.. well you get the deal. So I put it in my trusty PS2 and listens to it a few times as I idle out on the couch.
My mom confessed dad chose it (that wasn't much news I guess) and he confessed he was in the kind of mood where soothing music is what's best for one's mind. That's just it, it's not a cd that will invade your living room or your mind or anything. Instead it will build a deep comfortable cushion under and around you. It shields me from the exterior world in a soft bubble of calm. If I close my eyes, I can hear the sound of the wind rustling in the sugarcanes and I can feel the heat from the sun shielded by palm trees. Hamoc included.

If your in that kind of mood I highly recommend those two albums.

Other news:
13 mistakes out of 40 questions on my first ever code lesson. Good start, now I need to consistenly reach 2 to 3 mistakes per lesson to have the exam. I'm giving myself one month and a half.
I've seen Lost Season 2 up to the current episode. I feel a bit uncomfortable with the way it's turning, but I remain hooked.
Anyone have a bottle of milk? I've run out, and I'm having withdrawal syndroms.

Aucun commentaire: