11 juin 2006

The grass is greener...

So am starting tomorrow morning, and I hate every second that brings me closer to that 9am deadline.

To tell the truth, my prime motivation to find a job was that unemployement doesn't pay much. And I need much to live. So economically, I had only 2 simple solutions:
  • find a job
  • find a rich woman to marry
Feasibly, solution 1 was the only viable.

I've been evading settling down for a long time, waiting for a job offer rather than looking for one actively, and staying away from long-term contracts. My last 3 pro experiences were failures. My student exchange in the UK was one of the worse experiences in my life, and it lasted 6 months; my internship writing Quality Management documents is hardly what I wanted to do, and my first interim mission in Toulouse showed me some the bad sides of having a job: stupid boss, proactively inefficient team members, and utterly boring tasks. It felt like being in a rudderless sail boat with no sails on a glass-smooth sea. You're not going anywhere, and the only thing that changes is the size of your ever diminishing supplies.

I'm going to have a hard time readjusting to the realities of the workplace. Don't want to wake up, don't want to dress up, don't want to answer to anyone's authority and plainly don't want to spend my days behind a desk that's not actually mine.
I'd hope that the novelty wears off fast, and that I can fall back to a semi-boredom state where small surprises keep you entertained but don't push you to your limits. And I hope I will never be expected to stay late, let me do my regular 40 hours a week without complaining. Or I'll go work at the chain where the 35 hours specified on my contract actually mean something.

Hmm, I actually heard german companies compensate you for overtime through additional days off or bonuses. I'll have to think about it...

5 commentaires:

tommpouce a dit…

mici :-)

j'ai survecu a la premiere journee... Mais de justesse.

Tom

tommpouce a dit…

pour le moment, j'ingurgite les 150 pages de docs k'on m'a donne. Pas d'ordi, pas de telephone, pas de badge. Ca fait meme pas 1 mois ke les locaux sont occupes, donc y a meme pas d'imprimante :p Le plus dur, c'est les 90 minutes passees sur mon velo. Je suis epuise.
Bonne ambiance sinon, donc C cool. Faut juste ke je trouve un plan pour le midi, paske le repas a 10 euros au resto, ca me convient pas...

tommpouce a dit…

on est jamais assez bien paye :p mais je ne plaindrai pas. On verra a quel rythme les augmentations arrivent...

Anonyme a dit…

I hope by now you've already adjusted to waking up early for work ... but man you picked the wrong time to get a job, now that it's summer! :-D Just kidding. You're lucky to be employed!
Kala

tommpouce a dit…

I wrote a post 10 days ago, but it got lost somewhere. I hope to be posting soon, things are going great anyway!