09 juin 2006

Oh YEAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

I looked for another title, but I can't find any that fits better cuz

I HAVE FOUND A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I signed this afternoon, after two unnerving weeks.

Since monday afternoon, I was set to sign on monday morning at firm B to work "in situ" at firm A. Acceptable job, with major pros and major cons, but lousy contract. At least, I had a job.

Tuesday Guy 3 of firm C calls me to set an appointment (already had seen Guy 1 and 2, guy 1 I hated, Guy 2 I loved). We decide on wednesday, even though I'm only going to discuss the long term possibility (I hadn't told him).

Wednesday comes, the interview starts fine, and when the time sounds right (before we start talking business) I inform him that I've accepted with firm A and that I'm only here for long term investigation. Not bothered, he explains his needs: 3 places for which he has another 10 candidates. At that point, I no longer care because I can't afford to take risks and competition seems stiff. After he has explained that and his vision and his work methods, I'm thoroughly depressed, it's too good to be true yet the risk to lose everything like last time is too high.
Comes the end of the interview, and he asks what I think of it all. Which is something like:
That job would rock, it's the first consulting firm that has transmitted something which is not just marketing, and I just love the way you seem to manage the team and your professional life, but sorry mate, you're too late. I'm signing on monday with the other ones.
I don't know what clicked, but he told me he'd get a contract by friday, I just had to call Guy 2 the next morning and confirm I was ready for the ride.

Thursday, I call Guy 2, confirm I'm set but that if I don't have anything by friday night, I'm signing with firm A. Not 3 minutes later, one of the 2 co-CEOs calls me "I've got Guy 2 in my office, he's telling me to call you and set an appointment tomorrow". Geez, they're fast. Right, I'd love to meet you, what time's right?

Today, he starts the interview by "Our goal is first, to present ourselves and discuss the job in general terms, and finally sign the contract". That sounds like a plan, right? 1 hour later, I've officially signed the contract and I'm on my way back to the inner city.
The last thing to do was to call firm A and inform them of my newly found position. Didn't go that well, but hey, what d'you expect when you tell them off on a friday at 5 pm when I'm supposed to sign monday at 9am and start working one hour later, which is already weeks later than the customer expected.

I've got apprehensions, I'm not so sure how that mission will turn out, and I don't even know yet what my exact task will be.
But I have no regrets and it's written white on black right here that at this point, I firmly believe I have chosen the path that will be the most interesting.

And good week end to you too, I'm off celebrating!!!!!

2 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

CONGRATULATIONS!!! It was worth all the shit that you went through with the other interviews and companies, no? Anyway, I'm shaking your hand virtually and throwing confetti over your head as well. Go easy on the celebratory drinks, ok? Hehehe. Again, Congrats, Mr. Working Man.
Kala

tommpouce a dit…

One pint of beer isn't anything scary :p and I don't have anyone to go any further...
My first relief is that I can start being a consumer all over again. I've got a computer, a car and a hoover (that's urgent) to buy...
Thanks for the word, lady :-D