11 novembre 2005

3-day week-end

Friday, 10 PM
I didn't open my curtains all day long. Though, maybe I should have. And I didn't leave my flat all day long either. Cuz it's friday the 11th of novembre, and it's public holidays!!!
In the context of this gloomy celebration, I'd like to see Joyeux Noel, directed by Christian Carion.
It tells the story of soldiers of WWI from both sides who fraternised during the Christmas period of 1914. The movie seems to be very close to reality, with no side depicted as better or worse than the others. There seems to be a current in france at least that looks back at the 1914-1918 war less as a military conflict, as written in the history books and more as a human event, detailing the life from ordinary people more than the position of the front or the political decisions that were taken.
It may be a symptom of the actual situation in france, where political figures are not trusted much and where the destiny of the country is out of their hands. (Ok, it's particularly true at the moment with the unrest, but this distrust from the political system is way older than that)
I personally find it way more interesting and it's no limited to this specific war, I've always been more interested in the life of the people than in the life of the kings and rich.
--However, I do prefer above both the history of science and technology, in the sense that innovation has mostly been driven by necessity and design is driven by function.--
So I read a couple of articles on these fraternisation events and I may read a book that was recommended. Unfortunately, I'm also not keen on going to see such a movie alone. These movies cannot be appreciated in the same way if there's no sharing of the emotions and feelings afterwards, and by going alone, it's just not possible. And it doesn't feel the same if you speak about it after some time has passed. You've already coloured your memories and play mind games on it. You're talking about what you want to remember, not about your emotions... Betraying and useless

On the other hand, I've seen Les Chevaliers du Ciel, a french version of the almighty Top Gun.

Scenario:1/10
First, I found the representation of women (and also of men as a consequence) in the movie offensive. That's only cuz it provided scenes for the flights, so it cannot receive a 0. Nuf said
Music:6/10
Action scene music almost well chosen. Nothing like heavy metal or techno to listen to during dogfighting in Mirage 2000. And one track by Placebo sure helped. But commercial metal and techno just isn't worth more than 5 (+1 for Placebo track)
Acting:3/10
Sorry guys, you lose. No acting to talk about.
Flight scenes:12/10
and I'm being tough here. When the french put their minds on something, they can actually do it right. What I missed was the sound. It just seemed so muffled and distant. When a Mirage 2000 ignites afterburner, it's physical, even if you're that far, and it just didn't feel right. That's a -3 for being reminded you're watching a movie. It would have been a 15/10 otherwise.

Overall, don't watch it, super crappy. Unless you know before you enter the theater that the real actors are the Mirage fighters. If you do know that, GET YOUR BUTT OUT!!! F-14s are for losers.

Last news of the day: I made a serious bicycle fall yesterday night while leaving work. I've got pretty much nothing (light scrapes on both hands and an ankle) but my bicycle is really pissing me off. I've had to buy latex gloves to repair it each time the chain derails, it just happens to often. And the gear shifting tends to destabilise the whole poor thing with me on it. That's actually the way I fell, alone, in a straight line on a perfect road. I need to get the handle bar replaced, it's twisted beyond safety levels, and the front light and the electric cables need to be replaced/repaired. Overall, it does not look dutch, it does not handle too well and the gear shift sucks... I WANT AN IN-HUB GEAR BOX BACK!!!!!

Anyway, I'm good, and that's what counts lol.

3 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

Totally unrelated, but just in case you give a damn: there are only 6 surviving soldiers from WW1 alive today, as I heard on the radio earlier. 6! Can you believe it?! 6 people who were probably at least teenagers in 1914... and they're still here, living and breathing and all that. Madness. In a good way.

Ouf, good you are ok from your nasty bike. I am thinking of getting a Vespa. Mostly bec I can't drive. Are vespas corny? I just think it will be really cool to be wearing a helmet...

Do you seriously bike, even during the winter???

have a nice 3 day weekend, well, at least for the 2 remaining days :-)

-kala

tommpouce a dit…

Hey, Kala
I guess that's about the moment when we start giving a damn ;-) when we can actually count the survivors. That's also at this moment that you notice you don't know much and what you know is the official version of the history books.

Vespa? Does it fit you? Is it a show-off accessory or a proof of your uniqueness? If it's the latter, who cares? Though, I heard they can be vicious to handle...

tommpouce a dit…

il faut vraiment ke je me renseigne un peu plus dessus... je ne crois pas en avoir jamais entendu parler avant ce projet de film.
En tout cas, il a un profil tres international, c'est vrai k'il ferait un bel oscar!!