16 avril 2006

Interview, marseille, linux, robots

Hey all :-)

I've got my schedule for monday-tuesday.
I'll be arriving slightly before 5pm in Marseille on monday.
Anyone knows a nice and acceptably cheap resto over there? I wanted to arrive later, but that was the only train with available seats.
If I don't forget to reserve a room, the hotel is situated less thana kilometer away from the airport. My interview is at 10 am, running till noon (I'll see HR and the technical guy one after the other).
So at noon, they'll free me. I may try to visit the factories in the afternoon but I'm not sure I'll manage.
My train back to Toulouse is at 19:30, so I'll probably spend the day in Marseille. Again, does anyone know what I could do for the afternoon?

I have reinstalled linux on my machine last week, so I can tinker with it a bit more and hopefully, I can get a few interesting pieces of software to work. I've chosen the Ubuntu flavour that "everyone" talks about. It's definitely easier to use than the Fedora Core 3 I tested last year. But it's still nowhere near ready for the casual Windows user.
Even though there's not much software to install compared to Windows(most is preinstalled), installing additional stuff is still a pain. Point-and-click beats command line anyday. When you can point-and-click... I've been trying to compile and run a robot simulator for 3 days now, and that's not fun at all...

Until I found a Pyro/Knoppix Live-CD that I'll try as soon as it's burned. Of course, to burn it, you'll need a CD-R drive (check), an empty CD-R (check) and the software to do it, which is where the problem is: "I can't find the damn software and I can't find where to get it". Until I fall back on the Ubuntu documentation: Right click on the .iso and select Write to Disc... (about 3/4 of the way down the menu) and follow the instructions.
Duh, who would have thought it'd be already there... I'm still a windows user, and a Tux noob, alright.

I'll tell you more when I've tested this LiveCD. Until now check Gazebo. The videos at the end are awesome.

4 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

Hey! I don't know if you're checking your mail or this blog in marseille... but email me at belishabeacon20@yahoo.com, if you want to meet up tomorrow evening or afternoon for drinks! ;-)
Kala

tommpouce a dit…

mik, I promise you don't want to know anymore than you already do :p The 2h30 total I spent there in 2 days were the longest in a loooooong time. I found it incredibly dirty and overcowded and noisy, not my thing. Sordid. I've been told Aix was much better, who would have guessed :p.
I'll make a small update in a couple of days.

tommpouce a dit…

kala, thanks for the offer, I'll pass for once. Better luck next time ;-) I'll come back in a couple of weeks I think

Anonyme a dit…

People should experience Marseille first-hand to be able to say that it's not worth visiting. Even if the rent in Aix is astronomical, I'd choose living here than there any day *shivering thinking of living in Marseille*

Kala