31 mars 2006

Emergency situation - penultimate update

I hated the thought that it might happen, and it happened.
Firm 1 invited me for a second interview that happened yesterday. The results were overall very positive, with a good contact with who would be my future boss and the agency's manager. The job would be interesting, and well, it could be a great job altogether.
They told me they'd discuss it internally and I informed them they had competition from the neighbours. So they didn't waste anymore time and called me with a proposition, with a salary, non-negotiable, and a start date, monday in 10 days. Against their will, I told them I'd hold my decision for 24 hours, to cool down and think it over. The call went off, and I immediately called Firm 2.
Firm 2 called me two days after my first interview with Firm 1 last week. Their departments are more interesting, but I felt like I wasn't the only candidate (two other guys were in the waiting room for interviews when I was there). So I called my contact at this firm, and left a message on his cellphone saying something along the lines of "Firm 1 is offering me a contract, I'd like to know if you want to make a counter proposition". And then I waited.
At 3pm, I had to leave for the code lessons, and forgot to bring my phone. When I came back, after offices closed, there was a message "A position was opened in the Department that deals with this and that, we'd like to discuss it with you".
At that moment, I thought they should have called faster and decided to go with Firm 1. But I didn't call. Now, it's 1:06AM, I'm supposed to be in bed and fast asleep, but I can't.

See:
I've got on one side a firm offer with a salary in 10 days for a position that could be very interesting. On the other side, I've got a half proposition, that could turn sour at any time, but for a position that's a hundred times more interesting (only short of riding the planes themselves actually).
I have said I'd give my decision (that would be positive, I even said) to Firm 1 tomorrow at noon. So in the 3 hours between the offices opening and noon, I'll have to call Firm 2, ask if we could arrange a meeting withing 2 to 3 hours, evaluate the probablility that the position is offered to me and noone else, call Firm 1 and say Yes or No.

Worst case scenario: If I say no to Firm 1 and in the end Firm 2 says no to me, I'll be the biggest ass in the universe.
Bad case scenario: I say yes to Firm 1 and somehow learn Firm 2 was going to offer it to me.
Best case scenario: I say no to Firm 1 and take the offer at Firm 2.

What should I do? Play safe and go for F1, or gamble and try for F2?
I've got approx 8 hours to decide.

Oh, and btw, a firm in Aix en Provence requested an interview to work at Eurocopter in Marignane. The icing on the cake in terms of potential missed opportunities, though I will turn them down, uncertainty factor being close to infinite.

2 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

My opinion (and it's just that) is to just go along with firm 1. But then again, I'm desperate for a job, no one will hire me and no two firms would ever start fighting over me like they're fighting to hire you, not even in my wildest dreams :-)

If you have enough time to work it out with Firm 2, though, do so. Tell them it's either yes or no.

Damn! Too bad about Aix en Provence, we could have been neighbors!!! Grrrr.

Kala

tommpouce a dit…

that's what I told my parents I would do, yestersay evening.
But I'm the insolent kind of guy who's going to go with his heart and not his brain.
I'll regret it if I don't try, and I'll know I've tried if I fail. I'll live and die in a burst of flames :p
I have reached Firm 2 minutes ago, and they're organising an appointment next week.
I haven't called Firm 1 yet, I don't know how to stall the situation. I'll try a diplomatic no-lies explanation I guess:p

I thought about you when I was called from Aix, I felt it could be a great opportunity, but I can't take another moving so soon...